Lawyers Alliance helps advocacy organizations with business and transactional
law matters, understanding laws on lobbying and political activity, and
legislation. The Advocacy Initiative strengthens the public policy impact of
the nonprofit sector.
Clients include nonprofit organizations that promote civic participation and
public policy discussion, advocate for legislative initiatives affecting
low-income individuals and families and the organizations that serve them,
provide technical assistance, foster community organizing, and otherwise
engage in or support nonprofit advocacy.
In addition, Lawyers Alliance engages in advocacy at the city, state, and
federal levels on core issues affecting the nonprofit sector and in our five
program priority areas.
Read Lawyers Alliance's Legal Alerts on advocacy issues here.
Read Lawyers Alliance's
recent testimony and other advocacy documents:
- Lawyers Alliance Comments on Proposed New York State Lobbying Regulations (October 13, 2017)
- Advocacy Coalition Agreements (September 25, 2017)
- Nonprofit Organizations and Legislative Lobbying FAQs (September 5, 2017)
- 501(c)(3) Organizations Can Support or Oppose Ballot Measures But Must Comply with IRS Limits and Campaign Finance Rules (August 2017)
- Nonprofit Organizations Can Speak Out About Controversial Government Actions (January 31, 2017)
- Tips for Public Charities That Make Grants to Advocacy Groups (October 26, 2016)
- Advocacy Nonprofits Should Be Aware of Potential New Disclosure Obligations (August 10, 2016 and October 5, 2016)
Legal Alert - for Nonprofits
Legal Alert - for Attorneys
- Lobbying Compliance Checklist (June 9, 2014)